Anyone who visits Órgiva will walk up this street opposite the church and near Galindo bar. Taken in the 1970s, the photo shows a band procession behind the statue of Cristo de la Expiración which is removed from the altar of Órgiva’s church (La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Expectación) each year and carried around town. It could have been March, hence the coats.
Founded in 1844 under a different name, Banco de Andalucía was swallowed up by Banco Popular in 2009 – as seen in the modern day photo. The buildings have changed little with Casa Santiago (mentioned in our top tapas post) in the block to the right. Was it there in the 70s? (Photographer of old photo unknown, happy to remove or credit.)
© con jamón spain